frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Johnson Colt (1.5 hp outboard) Won't Start

Just finishing up on my transducer problem I am back to trying
to diagnose why my Colt won't start.
I am now back to checking spark.
In a small, one cylinder engine, how far away from the block
can the sparkplug lead be placed and still show a spark? I am
assuming not more than 1/4 inch.
Could someone please verify this?
Previously I had opened the carburetor and found everything
to be fine (clean- no debris.) The vent cap was checked also
as was the fuel line. The spark was also checked and seemed to
be fine (at that time). New plug. Compression seems fine.
Sometimes this engine has started and run perfectly. Other times
30 cranks and not even a sputter. On those occasions (like now) I
have squirted carburetor cleaner into the cylinder and still nothing.
I can't imagine this wouldn't point directly to an intermittent spark
problem. (Corroded wires somewhere perhaps?)
Your help is much appreciated (as aways!)
Frank