Brian Whatcott Brian Whatcott is offline

Default The Tale of the Chrysler 3HP

On 31 Jul 2006 21:15:09 -0700, lid (Jonathan Ganz)
wrote:

In article ,
Brian Whatcott wrote:
On 31 Jul 2006 12:06:46 -0700, "Terry K" wrote:

Lowering the board will help the SC22 stay head to wind.

Been there, with a Suzuki 3.5. It was plenty.

Terry K

Thanks to Don, Gary, Capt JG and Terry for helpful inputs.

We are now looking for something more than 7HP.
The centerboard and the rudder were both down all the way.

Thinking about the scenario later, I realised that if going forward
into wind was difficult because of cabin windage etc., then I could
still have motored in in reverse. OR I could have hoist a trysail on
the aft stay, but that approach would have added drag as well as
useful weathercocking.

Live n learn

Hey Brian... another thought occured to me... is the bottom clean? I
had a somewhat similar problem on my Cal while taking it over to get
hauled for the first time right after I bought her (well, acquired is
more accurate). The forest was about 10 feet long, with small
creatures leaping off when they pulled it out. I *wondered* why I had
full throttle and was only doing 1/2 knot.

It is a nuisance to find two bystanders to hold lines from the stays
to steady the mast while it is winched up. Then rig the stays etc.
(after trailering into the launch point.)

But, a fouled bottom is the one problem that is a non-problem.
This early example of a trailerable boat design of 22 ft length - the
SouthCoast 22 still has that grerat advantage - it's light on its feet
to numerous waters.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK