Gerald Gerald is offline

Default Dual Shore Power hook up question

"DSK" wrote in message
.. .
Gerald wrote:
.... I my lifetime of sailing, many thousands of miles inland and
offshore, I have never "had" to make a maneuver that forced another
vessel to take an action in response

I guess you never sailed a boat with no engine in channel.

Small day sail boats through various access channels around the Long Island
Sound area. Other than that all sailboats had power. Being in a small day
sailboat, and not always prepared to meet my maker, I plan my passage
carefully. I genuinely do not like surprises.

True on the one hand the wind does shift. As a sailing vessel you are
normally the stand on vessel relative to a power vessel. As a stand on
vessel you are REQUIRED Rule 17(a) to maintain your course and speed.

Unless, of course, that is impossible.

No, the rule does not say "Unless, of course, that is impossible".

... Note that the rules do not say that you must maintain your course
and speed except when the wind shifts, or the water gets too shallow, or
whatever else your problem may be.

What a stupid thing to say. If the water "becomes too shallow" then
1- you will most certainly not maintain speed, no matter hwo you try to
maintain course

Certainly not if you run aground. Are you unfamiliar with the water you are
sailing in? Do you have charts? Are you a graduate of the "Sail by
Braille" school?

2- under the rules, you are then constrained by draft.

DO YOU EVER READ THE RULES????????

"Constrained by draft" is a term that apples ONLY to power-driven vessles in
INTERNATIONAL waters. See Rule 3(h) INTERNATIONAL. Constrained by draft does
not exist in the INLAND rules. Good grief DSK!!!! It is no longer amazing to
me that you have such problems....

DSK