Larry Larry is offline

Default entry alarms ?

"MMC" wrote in
:

I've lived in a few different countries (3 Balkan, 3 African, 1
Central American) and visited a bunch of others without the benefits
of a good expat community and a couple that did (2 Middle Eastern),
and it makes a world of difference.

Me, too! I lived in Tehran, Iran from 1977 to 1979, leaving 28 days before
the Shah did. (Gunfire at breakfast just down the street isn't any fun at
all.) I loved Iran, beautiful place. The scene out my apartment window
was of Mt Tochal to the left and Mt Damavand, the highest point in the
Middle East at 18,000+ ft to the right, the snow blowing off it when the
temperature in the street was 100F. Most Americans have no idea how VAST
Iran is. I worked for the Iranian Air Force. Built IAF it's main
calibration laboratory in support of the SIGINT/ELINT mission keeping an
eye on the Iraqi and Afghan borders from mountain top monitoring posts and
C-130's full of equipment. Too bad I'll never be able to go back. My
apartment building looks like I left it on Google Earth, but Doshen-Tappeh
AFB looks rather deserted on the sat photos.

I worked on US Navy ships in Bahrain and have touristed Kuwait, Qatar,
Saudi Arabia and the Emirates a bit.