Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default The Tale of the Chrysler 3HP

I had a Cal 20 with a very old 4 hp evinrude 2-stroke. Seemed to do fine in
everything up to about 15kts. The boat was just under 2000 lbs.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Brian Whatcott" wrote in message

To avoid the embarassment of paddling in, or sailing close hauled into
a narrow channel for a landing, we put together a Chrysler 3 HP
outboard from two nearly complete projects.

3 HP seemed like a frequent choice for sailboats at about the size
of boats we have - a SouthCoast 22ft.

But on a day with a stiff breeze (yesterday) I blew onto a lee shore
at launch, and could not hold the heading to windward when returning a
few hours later, on outboard alone.

So here's the dumb question: how many Horses does it take to be
steering a 22 ft sailboat into a brisk wind? 5HP, 7 HP 10 HP, more?

Thanks in advance

Brian Whatcott Altus OK