Gary Gary is offline

Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

otnmbrd wrote:
If by "local" you mean the US, then yes.
Generally, you are more apt to hear these terms on the Gulf coast and East
coast, but you may still hear them out on the West coast.
Keep in mind that pilots tend to work on channels you are not normally
monitoring so that much of their normal "passing" traffic may not be heard
by you and it is not uncommon for tugs and other workboats to know these
channels (except when pilots use UHF) so they switch and make passing
arrangements on those channels.
You would need to frequent a particular area for awhile to know for sure
whether these terms were being used there, but it's probably more important
to know that you MAY hear them.
Where I work, I normally use "port to port", etc., but I frequently will
hear "red to red" and occasionally "one whistle"...... no big deal, one way
or the other.

otn

My original point was that the terms "one or two whistle pass" is not
commonly used by mariners around the world. It might not be clearly
understood. It may work when dealing with tug boats and pilots in a
particular area of the US but it is not a good way to learn to indicate
intentions if you venture a little farther from home. It wouldn't work
here in the Pacific Northwest.

As far as channels monitored for intership and passing arrangements, I
monitor the correct ones as dictated by the local the Vessel Traffic
Management System (VTMS), where ever I am. It is the law. If the
pilots and tugs are on a separate working channel using their own
version of slang, then it just doesn't matter to those of us driving
ships. Presumably, if they were making arrangements with me, they would
be on the proper designated channel, using the proper terminology and
monitored by the local VTMS.

Gary