Roger Long Roger Long is offline

Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

It was outside the COLREG line.

An aside on the radio aspect of this:

Whatever you think about my not making a radio call, the fact that I
was not calling or possibly responding to a call they might be making,
should have caused them to give me a little more room. The safety
margin for a vessel you are in communication with can be a smaller
because there is more certainty about their intentions.

Just last night in slightly less wind, I watched a Pearson lose rudder
control and shoot wildly up into the wind for a good distance. If he
had been the boat in this encounter and it had happened just before
the passing, he could have been struck. Whoever was driving the mega
yacht had no way of assessing the nature of my vessel's underbody
configuration or my helmsmanship abilities. Just think of the cost of
repairing the hull scratches on something that large and highly
polished to say nothing of the paperwork, bad press, and lawsuits.

Good seamanship dictates passing, when possible, by a sufficient
distance to accommodate the unexpected. Even powerboat to powerboat,
it isn't wise to put the stand on vessel in a position where spotting
something like a floating log might force them to hit either it or
you.

--

Roger Long