Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

"Gerald" wrote in message
??? I am not sure what do you mean ???

As I mentioned prior ... I know the rules. This thread has evolved to be
somewhat fuzzy. At no point did the original poster state that the
incident took place outside the COLREG line (I am not personnaly familiar
with the Portland area). Several give-and-takes that have taken place
here discussed the use of sound signals to give passing intentions. This
is a concept that does not exist in normal passing situations in COLREG
waters. In INTERNATIONAL waters sound signals are generally (except for
narrow channels) used to announce steering actions taken, not proposed
actions as in INLAND. I incorrectly asssumed from the context of the
discussion that the discussion was about an event that took place under
INLAND.

Having since checked a chart for the Portland area, it is now apparent
that the incident may have occured ouside the COLREGS line. While I
certainly didn't say that the INTERNATIONAL rules did not apply, nor that
the INLAND rules did apply, you could reasonable assume that thay may have
been my intention. If so, I stand corrected.

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
I agree! I think you need to read them again.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gerald" wrote in message
Nice link .... to the international rules. Most people (In the US) need
to focus on the Inland Rules first. You can always get the most
up-to-date official copy of the Nav Rules (International and Inland at)

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/mwv/navrules/download.htm

"Capt. JG" wrote in message
Totally wrong. I think a couple of people need to re-read the colregs.

Here's a link in bigger type for those of us with older eyes...

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknow...g/colregs.html

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Scotty" wrote in message
. ..

"Wayne.B" wrote

Roger forget the "rules being observed" for a minute. He
didn't hit
you did he? That's his only obligation.

Bzzzt! Wrong!

I don't remember the context... I have always stood corrected from time to
time. :-)

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com