Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Dangerous Maga-yacht in Maine

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 15:58:06 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

I've never heard a conversation along the lines of, "Big white yacht,
you aren't really going to just continue on that course like I wasn't
even here, are you?" I can't remember a radio exchange where someone
had to ask for the rules to be observed.

Roger forget the "rules being observed" for a minute. He didn't hit
you did he? That's his only obligation. My sense of the situation
is that you altered course before it became an issue, and quite
possibly that was a prudent decision on your part but we'll never know
for sure.

On the other hand, a nice polite radio conversation when you were
still a mile away could have gone like this:

You: "Large south bound motor yacht from Portland, this is Roger
Long's sailboat requesting a pass on two whistles."

He: "Roger Long's sailboat, this is the Floridania, roger that, two
whistle pass, have a nice day."

You: "Thanks, you have a nice day also."

On balance, it's a good way to lower your blood pressure and leads to
a better experience for all concerned. Try it some time.