Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Portuguese Water dog

Glenn Ashmore wrote:
Jeff,

I have been considering a PWD for some time. I think they would make the
perfect boat dog but I worry about one thing. My daughter had one for 11
years but at about 8 years he developed a problem with his hip which I
understand is a common problem with some lines. He was still game for
anything up until he died but you could tell he was in pain.

You know of any test to tell if a particular litter is prone to dysplasia?

The breed stock for Porty's was rather small about 80 years ago, under
100 dogs, I think. Thus they were prone to several genetic problems
before these issues were well understood. The Porty breeders
volunteered for special studies so the genetics are now well
understood. Nowadays, you should get a medical report from the
breeder that explains exactly the genes of the litter. Certain genes
are acceptable in a non-breeding dog that would be unacceptable for a
breeder.

As for hip dysplasia, I don't know if there is a genetic test, but the
breeding dogs should certainly be examined carefully by a professional
for any signs. X-ray's are pretty definitive after the dog is two
years old. Any reputable breeder should be able to provide enough
details to determine that the line has not had any such tendencies for
several generations. This is a good reason to go with a small breeder
who is doing it out of a love of the breed rather than a puppy mill.

refer to:
http://www.pwdca.org/Puppy_Pkt/Puppy_Pkt.html