Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Portuguese Water dog

Jeff,

I have been considering a PWD for some time. I think they would make the
perfect boat dog but I worry about one thing. My daughter had one for 11
years but at about 8 years he developed a problem with his hip which I
understand is a common problem with some lines. He was still game for
anything up until he died but you could tell he was in pain.

You know of any test to tell if a particular litter is prone to dysplasia?

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Jeff" wrote in message
. ..
Capt. JG wrote:
Do they shed much?

No shedding at all. We let Molly's hair grow out in the winter, but trim
it close in the summer. She gets a modified "Lion Cut" where below the
waist its very close, above its left at about an inch. (The proper
working cut leaves the top somewhat fuller.) Although it looks like an
"affected" show cut, its actually the traditional small boat cut which
gives freedom of movement and allows them to climb aboard without having
to pull in a few gallons of sea water in their hindquarters.
http://www.bluegrace.com/groomer.html

Although Porty's look a bit like a poodle, there is no recent connection
in their lineage - the Porty's go back at least 1500 years. I think they
both share a common ancestor, probably a Russian water dog.

BTW, they have webbed feet - part of drying them off is to squeeze their
feet to release about a pint of water!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Water_Dog