Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Portuguese Water dog

wrote:
My daughter's dog is only eight weeks old. She lives right on the water
where the tide is approx. 2 to 3 feet and the current runs up and down the
river.

The dog will probably attend some aqua class if the proper school can be
found?

They are scattered around the country - CT is very active with
training. There is a strong owners group, with a glossy magazine
(paid by breeder ads) and several mailing lists.

Because they are so active and overly friendly, obedience training is
recommended. Its actually more important for the owner than for the dog.

Not to mention that I may be in more need for water training.

Unwrapping a lobster pot, mooring and fishing net line can be a nightmare.
When the line or rope is tightly wrapped around the shaft in the space
between the propeller and the strut it becomes almost impossible to un -
wrap the line.

In this situation, I do not know if the captnhook can do the job?

Well, if it can't, the next step would be to pull the shaft! Its got
sharp edges in so many places I'm afraid to take it out of its box!
The real advantage is that it can be firmly attached to a pole.

The first thing we do is to get a hold on the line/rope and run the engine
slowly in reverse. Sometime it does free the line/rope?

When this did not work, we try to cut the rope/line. Cutting a 5/8 to 1"
nylon or poly rope under water with a knife does not work well.

A fisherman serrated bone knives or a quality long bread's knife will give
some results. When all of the aforementioned failed to work as a last
resort, I use a bi-metal hacksaw blade and hope for the best.

The coast of Maine is beautiful and full of lobster pots. When sailing in
pea soup fog with a vision of about 10 to 30 feet even if you are very
careful you may get hook on some lines. Even in bright day light my rudder
got tangled up in an abandon fishing net floating loose below the water
line.

Usually we've avoided a tight tangle and can coax the line off. Once,
we needed some cutting. After the worst episode, a few hours of
help from friends was needed to get loose. A week later we heard
someone else from the same anchorage fouled so badly the coupling
broke and pulled the shaft into the rudder. They needed to get hauled
at Billings. When powering downeast, I always keep a hand on the
gearshift!