Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Portuguese Water dog

Capt. JG wrote:
Do they shed much?

No shedding at all. We let Molly's hair grow out in the winter, but
trim it close in the summer. She gets a modified "Lion Cut" where
below the waist its very close, above its left at about an inch. (The
proper working cut leaves the top somewhat fuller.) Although it looks
like an "affected" show cut, its actually the traditional small boat
cut which gives freedom of movement and allows them to climb aboard
without having to pull in a few gallons of sea water in their
hindquarters.
http://www.bluegrace.com/groomer.html

Although Porty's look a bit like a poodle, there is no recent
connection in their lineage - the Porty's go back at least 1500 years.
I think they both share a common ancestor, probably a Russian water dog.

BTW, they have webbed feet - part of drying them off is to squeeze
their feet to release about a pint of water!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portuguese_Water_Dog