posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default New WiFi Adapter

If he is going more or less point to point over a quarter mile it would be
best to use a highly directional antenna on his home access point.
Something like a cantenna will have a cone shaped pattern that can be aimed
at the marina. A booster like a Hawking HSB2 set to 200mw on the access
point would help even more. Just keep in mind that 2.4Ghz is very line of
sight. Trees, buildings or anything in the way will trash the signal.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On 27 Jul 2006 12:15:00 -0700, "Queeg" wrote:

A second use will be to receive from my home wi-fi access point when at
the marina 1/4 mile from my house. Do I need to use one of these
antennas to emit from home, and one to receive on the boat?

If you are line-of-sight with your house with no obstructions, you
might be OK but I doubt it. Best bet is to use an external antenna
with a high power access point at your house also.