Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

Heh...

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Gary" wrote in message
Capt. JG wrote:
"Gary" wrote in message

DSK wrote:

KLC Lewis wrote:

Can we all just agree that EVERY skipper has the duty and obligation to
avoid collisions with other vessels, and to make our intentions known
to other boats on the water?

Now there is a good idea... oddly enough it is mentioned in ColRegs,
too. Make helm corrections early, make them obvious, so the other vessel
doesn't ahve to guess your intentions.

... Generally speaking, however, powerboats (or sailboats under power,
being the same thing) are much more maneuverable

Actually I think sailboats... especially under power... are a lot more
maneuverable. The larger rudders & keels have something to do with it,
I'm guessing!

If sailboats were more maneouverable they would get the right of way most
of the time. Under power they are not sailboats.

and/or free to take any heading they like, than sailboats. When
singlehanding my ketch, I also use autopilot quite a bit --
nevertheless, that doesn't relieve me of the obligation to avoid
collisions.

Uh-oh, now you're expecting common sense?!?

We've had people walk out on their foredeck and angrily yell at us to
keep out of their way because they were on autopilot. Haven't had that
happen when we were anchored, but that'll probably occur any day now.

I recently had a shrimp trawler yell at me to get out of his way. He was
trawling, I was anchored. Oh well.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King

Gary, the least maneuverable tend to have higher status.. that's why
there is restricted-by-maneuverability rule for example. Perhaps you need
to rethink this.

You must read what I meant not what I said. If sailboats were more
maneouverable they wouldn't have the right of way most of the time.

Sorry.