Wayne.B Wayne.B is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:33:29 GMT, "Roger Long"
wrote:

Why else would a recreational vessel in open water be maintaining a
dead straight course towards another with the right-of-way? NOAA
vessels doing surveys do but they fly the appropriate day shapes.

Please explain a scenario under which this vessel was not violating
the rules.

How close were you when you decided that the power boat was not going
to give way? They are under no obligation to change course 1/2 mile
in advance, only in time enough to avoid collision. That may not be
as much room as you'd like but it is all that the situation demands.

I can tell you from experience that evading oncoming sailboats is
problematic. Many times I have made an early course change only to
have the sailboat react to a header or lift with another course change
of their own. Even more irritating to a powerboat is entering into
one of these ballet dances only to discover that the oncoming vessel
is actually motor sailing and has no rights. It hapens a lot.