Capt. JG Capt. JG is offline

Default Dangerous mega yacht warning for Maine

What about the people on it? Suppose someone was injured. That could easily
happen as a result of wake or evasive maneuvers to avoid a collision.

--
"j" ganz @@
www.sailnow.com

"Wayne.B" wrote in message
On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 21:15:40 -0400, DSK wrote:

Wayne.B wrote:
Roger, with all due respect, a large wake should be regarded as just
another wave in a seaworthy and decent sized boat such as yours.

With all due respect, it is well to keep in mind that the
operator of a vessel making a wake is 100% responsible for
the damage done by his wake. It is exactly the same as a
person with a gun being held responsible for where his
bullets end up.

No boat of Roger's size should be at risk of damage from a wake in
open water.

.... It
is unreasonable to expect people to slow down except in a confined
area where you could lose control.

It is unreasonable to expect to endanger... or even present
a major & potentially expensive inconvenience... to other
people and have them shrug it off.

Danger is in the eye of the beholder. Since I wasn't there, it's
difficult to assess the situation impartially. I can say that in two
years of trawlering our GB49 up and down the east coast that I have
seen some incredibly bad behavior from a few sailboats who think that
they still have the right of way when motoring with the mainsail up,
or the right to suddenly tack in front with less than two boat lengths
separation, and various other similar examples.

Almost all boats of that size are piloted by professionals and will
respond positively to requests presented in a professional manner.

That's been my experience as well, but the exceptions are
always noteworthy.

Fresh Breezes- Doug King