thunder thunder is offline

Default Hazards of Gasoline with Ethanol

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:23:38 +0000, Gene Kearns wrote:

so..... counsel me. I have engines that were made in 2003 that
specifically disallow the use of *any* ethanol. How do I keep my warranty?
More specifically, warranty notwithstanding, what do I do with the
moisture entrained by the alcohol... that was not designed by *any*
portion of my fuel system to handle?

What say you?

Interesting question. Take it for what it's worth, but I found this: "The
bottom line is that the car manufacturer has to prove that any failure was
due to the fuel being used, whether petroleum or BioDiesel, if they want
to deny warranty coverage. The basic law in the U.S. is the Magnuson-Moss
Act from 1975. This is a broad warranty law. Most BioDiesel enthusiasts
interpret this law to mean that the burden of proof is on VW if they want
to deny warranty coverage."

http://www.itsgood4.us/biodiesel.htm

Assuming ethanol and biodiesel affect warranties the same, it may mean
that only damage directly related to ethanol would be outside the
warranty.

The Magnuson-Moss Act:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/...#Magnuson-Moss