frank1492 frank1492 is offline

Default Hazards of Gasoline with Ethanol

Forgive me, but I'm not sure I heard a clear answer to
whether or not outboards are more vulnerable to this
problem than inboards. As for me, with my Chevy V6,
isn't this why I have a water separator anyway? Or are
you saying that the water separator will be overwhelmed?
If it works as designed, I don't see any other way that
excess water can reach the carburetor.
I'm afraid we have another one of those issues that
is scientifically verifiable but where the consequences of
the issue are highly variable.
Frank

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 01:23:38 GMT, Gene Kearns
wrote:

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 21:05:04 -0400, John Wentworth penned the
following well considered thoughts to the readers of rec.boats:

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
. ..

Be afraid... be very afraid. There are a lot of major issues relating
to the use of alcohol laced fuels in the boating environment.

Just say, "No!"

Both Mr. Swartwood and Mr. Edgar have heard of a lot more ethanol-related
boat engine problems than they have seen. "I've only seen a few more engine
problems this year than in other years," said Mr. Edgar, while Mr. Swartwood
says he hasn't had any problems with ethanol."

If they aren't seeing any problems, what is their problem? Ethanol based
fuels have been widely used since the mid-80's, somehow we all muddled
through.
The fibreglass tanks in question are in 20-year old boats.

BTW: How do you "just say no" to ethanol-based fuels when that is the only
fuel available?

On the other hand, how do you affordably operate a boat knowing that
the fuel system will be pumping many times the water that it was
designed to pump? My 3 year old outboards prohibit the use of
ethanol... and they have three more years of warranty.

Trust me, ethanol + humidity = corrosion. Maybe you trailer to your
basement. I don't. I am surrounded by salty humidity.

Check your marina to see how many 20+ year old boats there are....

Mr. Edgar and Mr. Swartwood don't own your boat.... you do. I'm
betting that the one in 100 problem that happens to you is going to be
a real issue,

I am truly amazed by the number of posts here that have so much more
relevance to whose ox is gored rather than any common sense or
morality... oh, well....

so..... counsel me. I have engines that were made in 2003 that
specifically disallow the use of *any* ethanol. How do I keep my
warranty? More specifically, warranty notwithstanding, what do I do
with the moisture entrained by the alcohol... that was not designed by
*any* portion of my fuel system to handle?

What say you?