Lloyd Sumpter Lloyd Sumpter is offline

Default Electric motor to power a dinghy revisited

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:08:25 -0700, dmitri.maslov wrote:

Hi,

I want to put a motor on an 8' inflatable dinghy. A big question is
whether I should use a conventional gasoline/oil based motor or go with
electric.

I'm surprised at all the negative responses to this. My "other" hobby
(apart from sailing) is flyfishing, and at least here in BC, electric
motors are de regeur (ok, my French isn't that good - I SAID I was from
BC! ). In fact, a lot of lakes do not ALLOW gas engines.

A decent electric motor/battery will push you at hull speed for around 2
hrs, or trolling speed for at least a day. Hell, mine will push my 9.5ft
inflatable over 5 knots for 1.5hrs.

Charging IS an issue: Even a fairly decent panel (60-80W) will take a day
(more or less) to charge a Group 24 battery. But why not get a decent AC
charger like a Statpower and run it off a small Honda genset? (The DC
output off those gensets is WAY too wimpy!) That way, you're not polluting
the lake, you're getting the super-quiet Electric Experience, and an hr or
so running at dinnertime would set you up for the next day.

I'd say go with a Minn Kota Max40T and a deep-cycle Group 24 battery.

Lloyd Sumpter
http://www.bcboatnet.org