posted to alt.sailing.asa
Capt. Rob Capt. Rob is offline

Default Seidelmann review

Practical sailor reviewed the Seidelmann 299/30T. I've heard that it
BLASTS the boat, gear and sailing qualities.
Anyone got a copy of this or a member? Don't post the whole
review...just snip the good stuff!!!

Here's an owner review where I learned about it!!!

As far as I know I am the third owner since 1986.
I purchased the boat in December 2003. I first launched it in May of
2004. It was originally named "On The Lam". I immediately
changed the name to Daydreams. I first heard about Sedielmann boats
in the early 80's. I belonged to a boating club and was sailing
Watkins; some club members were sailing Seidelmann 299's. They spoke
highly of the Seidelmann's. I haven't been very lucky finding
published review of Seidelmann boats. The boats are mentioned in the
Practical Sailor boat buying guide. What is there is not very
favorable.
Significant problems found on my boat:
- headliner was falling down
- the bottom had many small blisters (pox) in the gel coat
- the chain plates and genoa tracks needed re-bedding
All of he above were easily repaired. The toughest problem was curing
the pox. The bottom had many small blisters...a real problem on MANY of
these boats.
There were also a number of minor through deck leaks, so I re-bedded
the chain plates, genoa track, and hatch cover.
The topsides gel coat was very oxidized and efforts to bring it back
with compound and polish did not work.
The Original CDI furler is of rather
poor quality. There are no bearing just two plastic parts to slide
against each other.
The list goes on. Avoid, avoid AVOID!!!!

Good boat pick, Scotty!!!!!!!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA!

Ha hah!

RB
35s5
NY