posted to rec.boats.cruising,rec.boats
Bob Bob is offline

Default "chartering" with guests

Jeff wrote:
Bob wrote:

However, on inland waters....get
this........ there are a few states that all you need is the state's
"Guides & Packers" license. No uscg master or oupv needed on inland
waters for sailing lessons. Just think YMCA summer sailing lessons...
as an example

I'm guessing these "inland waters" are actually State regulated bodies
of water that are not covers by the US Inland rules. This would
include most of the lakes in New England, for example, where the camps
are.

Yes, I thought the same thing.. however when I contacted both Oregon
and Washington states seems it is any waters inside the Boundry Line;
Columbia River, Puget Sound etc. Just and interesting side note.
Personnaly I strongle disagree trying to find a loop holes in uscg
licensing CFRs. There are a few out there for those who want to abuse
the spirit of a CFR. Here is another hole.

Using your boat as a bare boat charter operation and then claiming 100%
of all expences as a loss and therefor able to deduct that loss from
your other income. A couple years ago lots of people got a surprise by
the IRS.

There are holes but I wold not want to be the person who was the poster
boy for increased government oversight.