Don White Don White is offline

Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

wrote:
Actually Chuck, there's more to the story, I'm looking at the whole
picture. The wife and I have a lot of stuff going on financially, we're
doing fine, but we're also socking a bunch away, and budgeting stuff.
She drives a 2000 chrysler Town 'n Country van wich gets pretty good
economy. I drive a 96 plymouth Voyager with a 4 banging work beater. My
"tow vehicle" is a 88 Mercury Grand Marq which actually should have
been thrown away about 4 years ago, but I still license and insure it
just to go with the boat. I need to ditch the Mercury, and get
something else. I don't have any need for a pick up, but it's hard to
find anything with decent rear wheel drive with good pulling power, or
at least what I'm comfortable with. The wife and I both make more than
a modest commute to our work places, and burn about $200. a week in gas
at the present prices, that also includes the 'round towning' too. And
this is using resonable economy vehicles.

So what I suppose I'm saying is with paying for a decent tow vehicle
(license, ins. etc) especially for a vehicle thats mainly going to sit.
, plus the added fuel costs, and what ever other expendetures are
needed. It's getting a bit tougher to justify for myself. I LOVE
boating, and my little Chris Craft sips fuel. I dont' know about the
GPH, but we've always had a fun day on the lake for less than 10 gal in
the boat.

I suppose I'm really making a much a do about nothing. Boating isn't
going to break us, but then again, it's getting more expensive for us
all the time.

Chuck Gould wrote:

wrote:

I heard rumor (I can't confirm, nor deny) that gas is going to hit $4.
bucks per gal. by august.

Not only will that hurt (as in stab) the economy, but my boating will
be pretty well done. for a while......

CRAP!

Look for a dramatic moderation in prices immediately after Labor Day.
Then expect further notable decreases through the first Tuesday in
November. After that, hang on Matilda- I think she's a gonna blow. $5
by next Memorial Day, or $6 a the fuel dock. Just my pessimistic
opinion- I could be wrong and I sincerely hope that I am.

Can you slow down or stay a bit closer to home port to save the fuel
you feel you'll need to save to keep on boating?

Ford had a giveway lease deal on Ranger pickups last March.
I'd get rid of the old 88' car and the 4 cyl mini-van and lease a
compact pickup with the 3.0 liter 6 cyl engine.... assuming your tow
doesn't exceed 2500 lbs.
I questioned the use I would make of a pickup truck also... but it's
growing on me.