posted to rec.boats.electronics
GBM GBM is offline

Default Can an alternator be to big?

There used to be a manual alternator regulator called an Automac, sold by
Weems & Plath - This allowed the alternator output to be manually adjusted.
These are no longer sold, but perhaps someone else sells something like
that? Or perhaps drive it through a clutch that can be disengaged and keep
a smaller alternator in service?

I can understand that the price is attractive, but I would be careful with
that beast! Unless of course, if you plan on doing some welding Usually
better to have multiple smaller units. Ventilation and cooling may need to
be addressed - will you get enough cooling in your engine room as compared
with the intended installation for those units?

BUT, if you have the HP to drive it, it does sound like an interesting
unit - especially the low speed output.

GBM

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message

No real problem there. Because if the higher efficiency the HP charts say
it will take less power than the 200A Leese Neville that is in there now.

have 4/0 to the 850AH bank and the inverter and 2/0 to the breaker panel.
At idle speed it will theoretically put out up to 240 amps which will

cover
the 225A the battery bank needs in bulk mode with a little left over for
house loads.

The alternator is an Eco Tech 305. Apparently they are becoming popular
with the commercial fishing boats in the NW. The regulator is set for

14.4
volts so while it may take a little longer in bulk mode it will be just
right for absorption. I just need to figure a way to turn it off when
motoring through a couple of days of no wind. Not a good idea to hold a
fully charged battery at 14.4V for very long.

Go2Marine has them on their site listed at $2K. The city is asking $375.

think I am going to take them up on it. :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com