Mr Wizzard Mr Wizzard is offline

Default Speaking of high fuel prices,

"Bryan" wrote in message
.com...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message

"Bryan" wrote in message
.net...

"Mr Wizzard" wrote in message
news
wrote in message
ups.com...

Mr Wizzard wrote:

Seriously, most of us are driving 4, and 6 cylinder
3, and 4L engines, and not doing it everyday, so
its _not_ really hurting us like you may think it is.

But Semi Trucks don't and they struggle to get better than 6 mpg.

Not
counting all the fiberglass, plastic, and that you wouldn't imagine
being made out of petroleum.

it all leads to prices going up in every comodity.

" Huh " ?
...The guy was talking about "what to do about his boating"...

The price of gas is on my mind every time I fill my car or my boat

these
days.

Is it on your mind when you run the lawn mower, or weed wacker too?
Point being is that most people associate "boat" with a family outing,
and special "fun" event - not something that they have to do every
Sunday night before going to work the next day. But year, I hear ya.
If you are in the "boater" catagory, you've already made choices in
your mind to "justify" spending money thast you didn't have too, so
the price increase of gas kinda gets absorbed in that whole mindset.
Face it, most people dont 'think about" the price of beer when they
go out for beers, or grab a half-rack at the store, or smokes, or the
operating cost of a boat. Its just how you think about it, thats all.

I push my lawn mower. I pull my weed by hand.
The price of fuel compared to my pay raises over the last 6 years has had

significant impact on my personally.
I do, as you say, make my choice to spend the money, but I make it each

time
I consider going out. Some days I don't go out. Other days I go out

'cause
at any price it will be worth it.

So here's an interesting thought. Try to figure out what
the "opportunity cost" is based on gas prices vs. the
daily depreciation of your vessel, over the life of the
vessel for the time that you own it vs. the number of
days that you *don't* go out because of gas proces
when you *would* go out otherwise.

The more I have to tighten my belt due to the rising cost of goods
and services due to the rising cost of fuel, the more I consider the
affordability of taking my boat out for a spin.

If you feel this way, then whats *really* going on it that you are
struggling with the whole idea of having the boat, not the gas price.

True to some degree. The price of owning and operating a boat is a
financial struggle for me; a minor one albeit, but not a freebie. Still,

we
decided to take on the "burden" while our kids were still home with us.

If I had a wife, and kids who would enjoy a boat outing,
then the notion of *not* going out would never even cross
my mind. Period.

Each of us has our own breaking point.

True. But moreover, most of us also have a mental
"slush fund catagory" in our mind for justifing things.

My slush fund is low on ice!