posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default Can an alternator be to big?

Don't think there will be a problem there. The alternator mount is already
set up for dual BX cogged belts which should be able to handle 12HP. I did
that because I didn't want that Leese Neville squealing. Because this thing
puts out a lot more amps at lower RPM than the LN I think I will increase
the pulley diameter which should increase the power handling capacity even
more.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Keith" wrote in message
oups.com...
Keep in mind that it'll probably take at least dual belts if not
toothed ones and suck up some horsepower from the engine. If it's
charging a lot while you go to idle, it could kill your engine. That
all being said, still sounds like a deal. Just have to get the right
control circuitry.
chuck wrote:
Glenn Ashmore wrote:
I have been offered a really good deal on a high amp (325 amp) fire
engine
alternator by the city vehicle maintenance shop.