Rosalie B. Rosalie B. is offline

Default condensation under foam cushions

prodigal1 wrote:

It appears that the sweat from our bodies and/or temperature difference
created moisture forms under our vee-berth cushions each night. Weird
because both of us stay dry and comfy on top of the cushions. We
have to tip them up and allow them to air dry each day. While this has
become just one more item in our normal routine, naturally I'm concerned
with any excess moisture creating mildew conditions. I'm wondering if
anyone has a suggestion/solution for this.

Several solutions

Put lattice work (like trellis) under the mattresses to allow air
circulation. Alternately I think you could drill holes in the floor
of the V-berth under the mattresses.

Put the mattress in a plastic bag and then put multiple layers of pads
over top of the plastic. That will keep moisture from getting into
the mattress.

This has been discussed on the live-aboard list.

I will take the opportunity now to repeat our experience with mildew on the
berth plywood. Moisture from our bodies tries to migrate through the
matteress to the plywood especially when the plywood is cool compared to
our hot bodies. The cure is to fully envelope the matteress with
impermiable plastic material to seal all moisture out. Then cover the
mattress with at least three cotton mattress pads, then a fitted bottom
sheet. We install five pair of opposing buttons around the edge of the
sheet (they need iron-on fabric "backing plates") and connect the buttons
with thin bungee cord (with wire "button holes") on the ends to keep the
bottom sheet tight and the pads in place. In the morning leave the bed
open wide so accumulated moisture in the bottom sheet and mattress pads has
a chance to dry. This technique has worked perfectly for decades of full
time living aboard in all seasons.

We also kept a pad under
the mattress to help evaporate accumulated moisture. We found hull liner,
that gray fuzzy stuff works great .