noah

Default What Size Motor

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 01:48:39 GMT, "John-R W"
wrote:

Both boat and trailer are in fairly good shape. I picked up both boat and
trailer for $200. I felt like the trailer was probably worth that much. Even
if I trash the boat, I can turn the trailer into one for hauling. I know how
to weld, and have access to welding equipment, and all the structural
materials I would ever need to convert it.

I was a bit shocked when I went to Outdoor World and priced some motors. A
175 was going for close to $9,000. I am in hopes of finding a used rebuilt
motor. Like I said, all I want this thing for is to tool around in the out
of the way places to do fishing. If I can't find a good used motor, oh well,
I'll have myself a nice trailer to haul wood for my woodworking stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

John- if you're on a tight budget with this boat, you can have some
fun for a lot less than $9,000.00.

A 175 will go like hell, but it will plane with an 80. Check your
local dealers, check the Want-ads. If you are buying used, don't pay
up until you try it, or it is checked by a decent mechanic. You
should be able to put a serviceable engine on that boat for $1,500.00,
or less.

If I had my 'druthers, I'd have an offshore center-console, but I do
just fine, and have a lot of fun, with a yard full of second-handers.
My neighbors first called me "noah", because of all the damned boats
in my yard. I love 'em, and they're fun (the boats, not the neighbors
)

Your engine is out there, you just need to find it.

Good luck,
noah

Hey Clams, you got anything?