posted to rec.boats.building
David Murray David Murray is offline

Default Help with boat problem

Just a thought. Are you running with the fuel tank vented? I remember trying
out my first outboard motor. It ran fine for about twenty minutes then
started dying on me. I figured out later that I had forgotten to open the
fuel tank vent and so the engine was getting starved.
Happy boating
Davy M.

wrote in message
oups.com...

AllStar Entertainment wrote:
Help with boat problem
I have a 140hp Mercruiser engine in a boat I just got ,,I was wondering
if
I could get some advise???

My boat runs great for about 1 hour,
however as soon as I start allowing my
kids to ski or tube , and I go from drive to neutral , and back to drive
few times the boat wants to die.. like it is running on 2-3 cylinders,
not
all 4....

I was able to run the boat fine with , the problem seems to only happen
when
I go in and out of drive several times and when the boat has ran a while

I changed the neutral safety switch on the side of the engine.. ( I was
told
that was the problem) but it still does the same thing... any idea's
I do not believe this is a fuel problem

Depressed in Apex

Could be the fuel sock or screen on the end of the fuel tube in the gas
tank. If there's rust in the tank, after running the boat awhile, it
will plug up the screen. hen when you shut it off the rust falls and
settles again. As far as it dying when you put it in gear, on our 140
mercruiser it was the timing. Also run octane additive to your fuel.