John-R W

Default What Size Motor

Both boat and trailer are in fairly good shape. I picked up both boat and
trailer for $200. I felt like the trailer was probably worth that much. Even
if I trash the boat, I can turn the trailer into one for hauling. I know how
to weld, and have access to welding equipment, and all the structural
materials I would ever need to convert it.

I was a bit shocked when I went to Outdoor World and priced some motors. A
175 was going for close to $9,000. I am in hopes of finding a used rebuilt
motor. Like I said, all I want this thing for is to tool around in the out
of the way places to do fishing. If I can't find a good used motor, oh well,
I'll have myself a nice trailer to haul wood for my woodworking stuff.

Thanks for the reply.

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. ..
John,

You might be able to run with one other person and not much gear with a
100hp, but as soon as you try to take the family and lots of fuel/gear,

you
won't be able to get on plane.

I hope the boat and trailer is in good shape and you love it and it was
close to free because a motor&controls is going to cost $10,000 to

$15,000US
installed.

This is why used boats with big old 2 stroke outboards are not always a

good
deal, even for free?

The good thing is that you already feel like you need a new motor. That's

good start.

Good luck.

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
The tag in the back of the boat says 175 hp, and a max. load of 1300

lbs.

"Bill Kiene" wrote in message
. com...
Hi John,

I think that 80% of max power is OK, but I am one for max power

myself.

What is this boat rated for max HP?

--
Bill Kiene

Kiene's Fly Shop
Sacramento, CA
www.kiene.com

"John-R W" wrote in message
Hi All,

First time boat owner, so I don't really know too much about them.

I just got a 1988 Falcon Striper Pro boat. Needs some cleaning up,

and
some
work done to it, it also needs a motor and controles. My question is

what
size motor should I consider putting on it.

I plan to just use it for fishing in the local lakes. We are not
interested
in using it to ski or going supper fast. I would like for the motor

have
enough power to get me off the lake quickly in the event of a storm
blowing
up.

I realize the boat is rather old, but I made what I think to be a

pretty
good deal when I bought it, so I don't have a lot of money tied up

in
it
right now.

Any advice would be appreciated.