posted to rec.boats.electronics
Glenn Ashmore Glenn Ashmore is offline

Default WiFi Access

You might consider this whole kit from Netgate:
http://www.netgate.com/product_info.php?products_id=328 It comes with the
EUB-362(EXT), an 8.5db marine antenna with mount and a 20' LMR200 cable.
The antenna is pretty well built but it comes with a deck mount rather than
a rail mount and will not fit some rail mounts. There is a guy on eBay with
a store called "War Driving World" selling 9db marine antennas. They are a
little more expensive but you have a choice of deck or rail mounts

Depending on how you want to mount the EUB-362 I would ask for a shorter
cable to minimize loss. I am running USB to right under the antenna and
just using the cable that comes with the antenna to get the least possible
loss. Both antennas and the 362 have RP-SMA jacks so you have to use a male
to male RP-SMA gender changer to connect then directly. (about $5 on ebay)
--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

"Rusty" wrote in message
Glen,

You make a good point about being able to scan for access points. I think
the bridge comes with software for scanning, but a USB adapter would make
that very easy. It would also make for a simpler setup until I decide to
add a router.

Any recommendations for an external antenna?

Thanks, Rusty

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
You might try a EUB-362(EXT) high power (200mw) USB wireless adapter with
an 8.5db marine antenna on the Shuttle, hard wire in the other PCs
through a workgroup switch and use the Windows ICS facility to share the
connection.

The EUB-362 is especially attractive because you can run the USB cable up
to 15' and locate the EUB362 close to the antenna. With a powered hub at
the end of the USB cable you can go another 15' and take the load off the
Shuttle all together.. At 2.4Ghz LMR200 coax will loose more than 50% of
the signal over 20' but only 15% over the 4' that comes with the antenna.
Also working off the USB port the Shuttle will own the adapter so you can
scan for access points and control which one it connects to using the
standard wifi utilities. You can't do that very easily with a wireless
router.

To give you an idea of the performance, using a 200mw Senao card
connected through 16' of LMR100 an 8.5db antenna I could get a usable
signal from the 500mw BVI Marine Wifi access points out to about 900
yards. The thin LMR100 lost 75% of the signal so a shorter length of
LMR200 should get you out to 1,500 yards or better.