Ookie Wonderslug Ookie Wonderslug is offline

Default 1989 OMC 4.3 won't go to WOT

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 11:58:04 GMT, "Billgran"
wrote:

"Ookie Wonderslug" wrote in message
.. .
I just put a new long block in my boat. I rebuilt the carb, replaced
the distributor, points, condenser, thermostat, coil, new spark plugs,
and it had a new starter on it when I got it.

It runs solid and
smooth up to about 2200 rpm. It then sputters and acts like it may be
missing or choking out and will slowly get to around 2400 rpm. The
speed is 15 mph.

Since you installed new points in that Prestolite distributor, did you
remember to install the points spring over the strap on the point assembly?
Many people don't know about that, and what they think is the spring is only
the "strap" that conducts the current from the points face to the
distributor connecting wire. Without the spring, the strap alone does not
have enough tension to allow the motor to rev up before bouncing the points
on the distributor cam.

Is it an automotive "long block" or a marine "long block" from a reputable
distributor ? With cams, pistons, and compression ratios designed for low
emissions and low rpm operation, an auto engine will not perform like a well
designed marine engine.

Bill Grannis
service manager

I installed the points correctly. I was very careful and followed the
instructions to the letter. Gapped at precisely .019 like the book
said.

It's a marine engine from S&S engines in Washington.