posted to rec.boats.electronics
Rusty Rusty is offline

Default WiFi Access

I have a non-laptop Shuttle computer on my sailboat. I would like to be able
to access marina and other WiFi points when available. I have talked to some
of the marine WiFi providers and they only provide hardware that works with
laptop computers. At the Oakland boat show the provider I talked to wouldn't
even look at me after I said I had a desktop computer instead of a laptop!

I would like to set up an external antenna and the necessary hardware to get
WiFi access into the Ethernet port on my computer. I have no laptop PCMCIA
slots, no PCI bus slots, only a high-speed Ethernet port. I am not looking
to have secondary wireless access for other devices on the boat.

I would like to be able to install a wired router on the boat and share the
internet connection among more than one on-board wired computer. This would
eliminate USB wireless adapters that connect directly to the computer.

Can I use a bridge, like the Linksys WET54G, for this application or is
there a better solution? Recommendations for an external antenna would also
be appreciated.

Thanks, Rusty