posted to rec.boats.paddle
Michael Daly Michael Daly is offline

Default Weed-Free Rudder Strategies?

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

- FIt a spoiler on the hull to lift (actually sink...) the weeds enough
so they don't get caught in the rudder/hull gap.

I can't say I've got a solution, but this sounds like a skeg/rudder arrangement
that's used on some sailboats. Basically, the rudder forms the back end of a
skeg - the front half is fixed.

This won't work with your rudder if it is a balanced design. That is, if the
rudder post is not exactly on the leading edge of the rudder, the portion of the
rudder forward of the post will swing free of the skeg part and catch weeds anyway.

To get the weeds to clear on the fixed part, there's going to have to be some
sort of sweep angle down that won't catch the weeds. If you build up a skeg
with a shallow angle relative to the keel, the size might end up being so great
that you will end up with a kayak that leecocks - a situation that you don't want.

Mike