posted to rec.boats.building
dog dog is offline

Default epoxy exposed to the sun!?

On 2006-07-02 19:01:07 -0400, Paul Oman said:

Toller wrote:

Last fall the deck on 14' sailboat cracked. I put some
fiberglass/epoxy around the crack to reduce flexing and stop it from
getting worse.

Three weeks ago I put the boat in the water. Today I sailed it for the
first time. I meant to put paint on the epoxy; I thought I put paint
on the epoxy. Obviously I didn't because it has developed a yellow
cast. It doesn't seem any different than when it was new, except for
the yellow cast.

Would three weeks of sun ruin it, long term? Or can I just paint it
now and be glad I caught it in time? I know UV degrades epoxy, but
have no other info.
Any advice here would be appreciated.

(yes, I know that putting new fiberglass over cracks isn't the right
way to fix them; but I was going purely for function without regard to
appearance.)

Also, whatever color you paint it, make it a light color. Epoxies are
known to lose considerable strength at the temperatures a dark-colored
painted surface can reach. Epoxies generally fail at lower
temperatures than similar polyester or vinylester resins.