Don White Don White is offline

Default Coating a centreboard with fiberglass resin...

Melandre wrote:
I am renovating a small sailboat (catboat type). I have to build a
centreboard for it so the plan is to shape a 3' X 1' X 3/4'' board and
put a protective coating on it. Would marine quality paint good enough
to provide a protective coating or should I really paint the thing and
then apply resin on it?

If resin is the only decent solution, is there a type that can simply
be applied with a paint brush rather than having to deal with the
fiberglass cloth and go through all the complicated process of applying
it?

Just for a contextual refernce this is just a tiny 11' sailboat which
will be used primarily just to play around at our cabin when the wind
picks up. Probably won't be in the water more than 10 times per
summer.

Andre

Up to a certain point, CL boatworks always supplied marine grade plywood
centerboards and rudders for it's CL16s & CL14s.
My 1985 CL 14 rudder was in perfect shape when I sold it two years ago.
The centerboard was de-laminated when I got the boat in 2000 because the
previous owner kept it in the boat outside under a tarp for a number of
years.
The plywood, with a good coat of paint would be fine if you keep the
centerboard indoors or in the garage/shed throughout the winter.