Dave Hall

Default When would you board someone else's boat??

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 03:49:07 GMT, "Doug Kanter"
wrote:

"John Smith" wrote in message
Don,
I am having a hard time following this conversation, but from what I can
tell you are saying that a dog taking a crap on your lawn is the same as
being a child molester. Did I miss something?

This is simple, John. Based on actual experience:

I'm working in the garden. I have 3 neighbors with little target dogs, like
dachshunds. I cut my lawn correctly in the summer, which means 3-4". The
target dogs' turds are small enough to fall beneath the level of the grass.
I step in it. I'm preoccupied with gardening. I am entitled to focus only on
the thing I enjoy, rather than having to watch every step I take. I step in
the turds, and run into the house for a drink of water, and maybe to use the
bathroom. Now, there's turd on my carpet. I have to stop what I'm doing and
rent a rug shampooer.

A simple stiff brush, a spray bottle of Oxy-Clean, some paper towels
and 5 minutes later, it's done. I've cleaned up my share of "messes"
before. It's not such a big deal.

Not only does the machine cost money, but the dog owner has stolen 3-4 hours
of my precious time. If I apply my working rate to my weekend hours, that
time is worth between $500 and $10,000.00. The dog owner has stolen that
from me.

An extreme exaggeration meant, no doubt, to attach some sort of
inflated value to your time, and to somehow justify your draconian
response. Killing a dog for getting a little poop on your carpet? You
really are in need of some counseling. But find a good shrink.

Get it? Stealing. Why? So the dog owner can keep his fat ass on the sofa
watching football, rather than tie the dog up in his own backyard and clean
the turds out of his damned lawn.

I leave the turds in mine. They make good fertilizer. The grass is the
greenest where the dog goes. And yes, I tie the dog out.

Calling the dog catcher a dozen times
achieved nothing. "Duh...I have to actually witness the dog running loose
before I can do anything about it".

And this justifies your vigilante justice?

This is why one dog on my street
actually vanished about 15 years ago. Sort of like Jimmy Hoffa.

I'm proud of you. Doug Kanter, Canine hit-man.

My property, my garden, my time, my money. No different than if you did a
gorgeous job of painting your house and I came along with a painball gun and
redecorated it for you. Get it? Same exact thing.

Not the same thing. There's that little thing called malicious intent.
How about if you painted your house, and a flock of migrating geese
decided to bomb it? Would you shoot all geese?

Put up a fence.

Dave