posted to rec.boats.electronics
Bruce in Alaska Bruce  in Alaska is offline

Default Shakespeare 2050 TV Antenna

In article om,
"MV Gizmo" wrote:

I recently read a Coast Guard advisory stating that "some" Shakespeare
2050 antennas may interfere with your on board GPS and possible AIS.
Naturally, I have already purchased one of these antennas and will be
installing it soon. It would be a pain in the rear, but I may install
an on/off switch to the 12V amplifier for this antenna. Does anyone
have any experience with the antenna?

Dave

There was some problems with these a few years back, in that the
amplifiers would break into oscilation, on occasion and it was on
Marine Ch 16. (156.8 Mhz) Shakespear had to recall a pile of them
as they violated their Part 15 Specs. This could be a similar situation.
Best way to know is to have a compitant tech with a sp;ectrum Analyser
and look at the radiated signals from the antenna. I wouldn't think that
GPS signals would be effected, but AIS is in the same band as Marine VHF.

Bruce in alaska
--
add a 2 before @