posted to rec.boats.electronics
Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default Exchanging data between two Garmin GPS receivers?

Mika wrote:
I have a fixed Garmin 128 GPS receiver onboard. Used to take a
portable computer onboard so at the end on my trip I could donwload
all data about my track, speed etc.

I noticed I could use my handheld Garmin GPS 48 (which is also onboard
as a reserve unit) to transfer route and waypoint information from
boat to home and vice versa, as there is this Garmin propriatary
interface setup. No need to bother with a laptop and serial cable.

All data such as waypoints, track and routes moves fine back and
forth. However, I have not been able to read timestamps of my track
data. Is that possible, and how? Laptop works fine and I can download
time data, but I would rather use just my GPS for data transfer...

Mika

A bad day on the water is better than a great day on land.

Lähetätkö e-mailia? Vaihda osoitteen eka (vai oliko se toka?)
kahdeksikko numeroksi viisi.

Have never tried to transfer data between 2 Garmins, but provided you can
connect them, as they both have the facility for input/output, using packet
transfer (Garmin protocol). On the 48, If you set the i/o to Grmn/Grmn, and
move the cursor down one line and press enter, you get a whole lot of
different options to send/receive data by pressing the up/down keys. You
could make a double-ended 4-pin plug cable.