posted to rec.boats.paddle
novice

Default Dumb question: which side of paddle faces me as I paddle(picture)?

Thanks , Guys
wrote:
Brian Nystrom wrote:
And the longer edge of the blade is the top. I wish I had a buck for
every person I've seen using a paddle upside-down.

Hee hee! That's something I always go over when instructing the
beginner's class I teach, and I explain that when I say "You're
paddle's upside down!", that means to switch it end for end too!
Because that's not intuitively obvious to many beginners.

Power (concave) face facing towards the rear/stern/back behind you
(most times), and on assymetrical paddles the shorter end of the blade
goes down. Or simpler; always hold the paddle so the manufacturer's
label is readable! (not upside down!) After all, the manufacturerer
wants you to advertize for them, yano? ;-)