posted to rec.boats.electronics
Ian McCrum, MI5AFL

Default Capturing NEMA Data from a GPS

On Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:44:45 -0700, Ed Henderson
wrote:

Anyone out there know how to make a program like Excel (or whatever)
capture NEMA data from the GPS and put it into a spreadsheet or
database. What I'm trying to do is set up some kind of an auto ship's
log so that when I'm sailing the GPS will create a log for me every 15
min or 30 min or whatever. My old Nobletec nav program had that
capability but I've recently switched to Fugawi and I don't get a log
book from it. My GPS currently imputs info to my laptop and Fugawi, I
just haven't figured out if that info can be captured along the way and
utilized by another program to accomplish what I'm trying to do.
Ed

It is fairly easy to write a VB program to capture and isolate bits of
NMEA. It can be also be done within Excel using VBA, or better still
use a free add-on - see

http://realterm.sourceforge.net/real...rom_excel.html

Regards
Ian