posted to rec.boats,rec.boats.building,rec.boats.cruising
Peggie Hall

Default how to overcome toilet line stink?

wrote:
The line from my toilet runs under the bed, through the rear wall
(transom?) of the interior and into a tank in the engine compartment.
Recently I've removed the walls from around the bottom of the bed,
and now the stink from the hose is much more noticable. It's a white
plastic hose and you can see that there is wire reinforcement within.
Is there something I can wrap the hose in, or any other methods to
reduce the amount of smell that gets out through the hose?

The only real cure for permeated sanitation hoses is replacement.
However, if you'd rather wait till fall to do that miserable job, you
can buy youreself that much time by wrapping the hoses in Saran
Wrap...it must be Saran...no other brand.

But first be sure the hoses ARE permeated: clean off an area of each
section of hose to remove any other from another source that may have
attached itself to the outside of the hose. Wet clean rags in HOT
water...wring 'em out, wrap one around each section of hose...use a
clean rage for each section. When the rag has cooled, remove it and
smell it. If you can smell the same odor on the hose, that hose has
permeated...if you can't smell anything, the hose is ok...we need to
find the real source of your odor.
--
Peggie