Chuck Gould

Default Boating magazines

Reginald P. Smithers III wrote:
..

Do you find all of the product reviews in Passagemaker to be completely
unbiased without any concern towards the advertising dollars paid by the
mfg'er?

--
Reggie

Several years ago now, in Passagemaker, there was a major advertiser
selling toilet paper oil filters. Perhaps it was just a coincidence,
but month after month there seemed to be feature articles about the
"miracles" of TP oil filtration. The TP filter guy stopped advertising,
and while it has been several months since I last thumbed through a
Passagemaker magazine I think it's been a lot longer since I've noticed
any TP filter articles there. Are TP oil filters "bad"? Probably
depends on who you ask.

Point: If you don't notice any correlation between advertising content
and feature articles in any "enthusiast" magazine (boating, autos,
model building, hunting, fishing, photography, computers, etc) it's
more likely a lack of careful examination than any saintly editorial
"purity" in play. I can tell you for a fact that at least years ago,
when I was in the auto business, being named "Car of the Year" was
available to any Motor Trend advertiser willing to pay the big enough
bucks. Anybody else remember the Krysler K Kar, "Car of the Year"
award? :-)