Reginald P. Smithers III

Default Boating magazines

Jim wrote:
There's been too much discussion of trolling and net nannying lately. Here's
an opportunity go get back on topic and discuss boating. Here's a few
questions to get the ball rolling.

I would be surprised if anyone disagrees with my evaluation of boating
magazines but what they heck.

Boating magazines:
Why do we buy them?

I have when I was in the market for a new boat or a new accessories.
I view them as a nice catalog or brochure,
with more information and description than the West Marine Catalog.
It helps me narrow done my choices.

Do we rely on them to make buying decisions?

I use them the same way I would use this NG as an opportunity to
narrow down my choices, but do not take the info as the gosple.

Do we expect honest reviews of boats and gear on their pages?

I expect the information to be factually correct, but understand all of
the info provided is desinged to highlight the products features and
benefits. Normally they are not, nor do they pretend to be a crtical
evaluation of the product as it compares to others in it's field. If
the boating magazine reviewed the product, and it was a piece of ****
that they could not say anything positive, they normally decline to
write the article. You will find very very few negative evalations in
any of the magazines.

Do we get honest reviews of boats and gear on their pages? see above

Do advertisers influence magazine content (other than their ads)?

It is very common for pieces about a product catagory to be
written so the mag can sell ads space around the article. I don't think
the advertisers need to try to influence the mag, it is a very symbiotic
relationship between boating mags, mfg'ers and magazine buyers.

Do some manufacturers bribe publication personnel to get favorable press?

Why should the boating industry be any different than any other
industry? I would think there are competitant honest individuals in the
boating press, and there are sleeze balls. You probably have the same
in your industry. Most magazines try their best not to provide false
information, they just sell features of whatever product they are
"reviewing".

From what I have seen, Chuck is one of the honest ones who does his
best to sell the sizzle whenever he writes an article. The idea is to
promote the hobby, the products and the mfg'ers.

Why do you ask?

Jim

--
Reggie

That's my story and I am sticking to it!