posted to rec.boats.building
dog

Default repairing a fiberglass canoe

On 2006-06-17 23:03:26 -0400, "H.Hatcher" said:

It sounds like a great father/son project. You don't mention the
make/model of the canoe. I would check and confirm the construction
materials. Expoxy resin and polyester resins will not bond well
togehter so if the canoe is fiberglass, you should know which resin was
used. If it is a fiberglass canoe, it may have a balsa core between
layers - check for water wicking/damage.

Two little points... No manufacturer of canoes that I've ever seen has
done a cored hull for their canoes. It just isn't cost-effective for
them, or even structurally necessary.

Second, epoxy does not have problem bonding to polyester or vinylester
resins, provided the surface is properly cleaned and sanded.

HH seems to be a fount of misinformation.