EJW

Default Ford Lehman blown head gaskets

I am looking at what amounts to a derelict 34 CHB which has twin 80
engines. The hours are 1600 and 1500 (maybe). I had a pro engine survey
and of course there are minor external issues but the big one is that
both engines have blown head gaskets. The question is what would be a
good guess at what did them in. Over heat/ (most guages did not work),
Age? Design flaw? On top of all that the previous owner over filled the
oil by 3 US gallons on one engine and the engine was run in that
condition from the dry dock to the dock for sea trial. My instinct says
these are rebuilds. Waht would be the odds of a gasket replacement fix.
I expect to bid the boat down by the cost of the repairs. Is it worth
the risk? It could be a big can of worms or work done a hull with
serviced engines.
Opinions?
Thanks
Jim