Roger Long

Default Yanmar 1GM10

It's not what I thought it might me. The other reply pretty well
covers it.

You need to either start taking it apart or have someone look at it.

--

Roger Long

"Shawnews" wrote in message
Hi Roger

Not on the pump housing where the impeller is. It looks like a
designed hole, sort of oblong with rounded corners, on the narrow
part of the pump housing shaft area that drives the impeller. I am
assuming the water is coming from the housing between the impeller
and drive shaft seal, then runs along the shaft and dropping through
the hole.

Thanks

"Roger Long" wrote in message
Do you mean the hole where the shaft that drives the impeller goes
into the engine or a small hole on top of the pump housing?

--

Roger Long

"Shawnews" wrote in message
Good morning

I hope someone can help with an annoying problem.
I have a Yanmar 1GM10 inboard on my small sailing boat. It runs
really well. Recently I had it serviced, oil changed etc.
including replacing the impeller.

It has had a salt water leak for many years before I owned the
boat. I have only owned the vessel for 2 years.

The salt water is coming through the impeller housing, and
dripping from the designed hole between the impeller and the
engine. I sense this is where the engine shaft goes through to
drive the impeller. It is not coming from a gasket - that would be
too easy! I did not see what the seal is like where the shaft
enters the area of the impeller. Is there a replaceable seal
there? Will it need a new impeller housing? I hope not. No
gaskets are leaking at all. He put on a new gasket when he
replaced the impeller.

I would appreciate any information you may have in this regard.

Many thanks