Capt John

Default New York July 4 Fireworks

wrote:
Easynews wrote:
Planning to spend the night on the East River or NY Harbor to watch the
fireworks. Any one that can offer advice as to good spots to anchor and
enjoy the show, would be appreciated.
Also anyone that has done it in previous years, I'd be interested to hear
how rough it gets, as probably there will be a miriad of boats and quite a
few with more than enough drinks in them.

Thanks
AJ

The East River gets pretty rough just on any normal calm day with
little boat traffic.

richforman

Have a good size anchor with enought chain, a crowded place like that
is not a good place for your anchor to slip, and hang up in everyone
elses anchor rope. Have plenty of rope, but don't put out a lot more
rope than everyone else. If the boats start to swing, and you have a
lot of rope out.....
A second anchor and rope on board is also a good thing to have. Best
bet on leaving, leave well before the show ends, or wait until it's
over and most people have left. When that show is over, it looks like D
Day all over again, "Damm the torpedos, full speed ahead". It can be a
scarey place. Make sure all your navigation lights work, your radio
works and the boat insurance is up to date.

I did the 200 year celebration in 1976 in NY, had a great time, I'd
never do anything like that again.

John