posted to rec.boats.electronics
Gordon Wedman

Default Grounding the battery

"chuck" wrote in message
Carl wrote:
I have just bought a fibreglass sailboat that needs rewiring. Reading
Don Casey's book "Sailboat Electrics Simplified", he states that the
battery MUST be properly grounded to the engine block. That's fine if
the boat has an inboard engine - but does this mean that I have to run
a grounding cable through the boat to the stern and attach it to the
outboard engine? Or is there an alternative "earth" on a fibreglass
boat?

Interesting question, Carl.

I don't have a copy of that book so I'm not sure what Casey had in mind.
Assuming you will have no battery connection to the outboard (as in
electric starting, battery charging, etc.), I can imagine no reason why
the engine must be bonded to the battery.

In fact, I can think of a few reasons why you would not want to bond it.

Good luck.

Chuck

Yea, I would agree. No reason to do this with an outboard if it does not
need an electrical connection. I would install a ground point and run the
battery negative to that. Then you can connect up other grounds without
clogging the negative terminal on the battery. Blue Sea Systems makes a
stud that has a number of smaller connection points arranged around it in a
circle. Quite handy.