Default Please Help Fix My Mistake

you might get some advice from a local auto ody shop, especially ones
that have beknownst to repair/rebuild Corvettes.

supsand wrote:
Bill Kearney wrote:
I'm hoping this is correct. I didn't scrub down very far because I
stopped when I kept getting so much black paint.

Wait, paint? It's colored gelcoat, is it not? It's important to call it by
the right name if you want advice on fixing it the right way.

OK, OK so I don't know all the proper terminology yet, I'm learning.
Heck a month ago the words trim, bilge, and transom were new to me.

So where do I go from here? I assume I need to get that 3M wax off. My
search showed alot of praise for Zaino and that I should wash the boat
down with Dawn to remove old wax first. Some prefer traditional wax. I
don't mind doing the entire boat since like I said it's been outside
for a year.

Where are you getting these ideas? Dawn dish soap? JUST STOP. I'm sure
there's any number of wives tale solutions out there. But you'd really do
well to use products intended for the job.

I got that idea from this very group. I was searching for cleaning and
waxing techniques. And then there is this from the Zaino website:

"I would definitely recommend you remove the wax buildup on your paint.
Just use Liquid Dawn (hand dishwashing liquid) as a car wash. It has a
high alkaline content which cuts right thru carnauba wax, paraffin,
silicone oils, etc. This will get your paint finish squeeky clean and
wax free. I don't advise making a habit of washing your car with Dawn.
But for this scenario it's fine. High alkaline products like Dawn are
tough on polishes. It will never harm the paint finish though. A car
wash is made specifically to clean without removing durable polishes.
ALSO, Make sure you remove any water spots, before you apply my
products. Because Zaino has no abrasives or harsh solvents it will not
remove water spots or stains."

Poliglow works wonders on rejuvenating a tired finish. If not that then
Collinite makes a fiberglas cleaner and wax.

But given the adventures thus far, it really does seem like you ought to
have someone that KNOWS fiberglas come take a look at what you've done.
Don't keep making it worse by doing the wrong things. Especially not to a
brand new boat!

My first mistake was getting advice from the clerk at West Marine
(young enough to be my kid). Now I'm trying here because it does seem
there are many knowledgable folks on the subject. First-hand experience
is usually some of the best. Believe me I won't do anything more until
I fully understand the process.